Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ccgeneral

Kevin Wilson Resigned

I honestly don't know where to start.

It sounds like Fred Glass was on a witch hunt. He was going to find a reason or evidence to fire CKW no matter what it took. Sounds like they had Tom Allen hired before CKW even "resigned"

If CKW was such a bad person and had gotten drunk and belligerent and belittled administration for past 5 years then why did Fred Glass give him an extension in January?

Because he was winning and had no reason to fire him?

Why all of the sudden when Tom Allen is offered the DC position at Ole Miss do all of these allegations come to fruition?

He was a good enough coach and a decent enough human being to get an extension in January but in December he gets fired forced to resign?

I am just not a big fan of Fred Glass. Seems like the guy used the medical issues to get CKW to resign and keep quiet. If these medical issues blow up then IU has to fire CKW and pay his full buyout and Fred Glass looks like an idiot for giving the man an extension in January. If I am Tom Crean or Tom Allen then I don't trust him at all. 

It sounds like Fred Glass was on a witch hunt. He was going to find a reason or evidence to fire CKW no matter what it took. Sounds like they had Tom Allen hired before CKW even "resigned"

If CKW was such a bad person and had gotten drunk and belligerent and belittled administration for past 5 years then why did Fred Glass give him an extension in January?

Why all of the sudden when Tom Allen is offered the DC position at Ole Miss do all of these allegations come to fruition?

He was a good enough coach and a decent enough human being to get an extension in January but in December he gets fired forced to resign?

I am just not a big fan of Fred Glass. Seems like the guy used the medical issues to get CKW to resign and keep quiet. If these medical issues blow up then IU has to fire CKW and pay his full buyout and Fred Glass looks like an idiot for giving the man an extension in January. If I am Tom Crean or Tom Allen then I don't trust him at all. 

When was he offered DC of ole miss?

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

16 minutes ago, Uwe Robb said:

I think Glass didnt get along all that well with Wilson and figured he had probably peaked. Knew we didnt have a QB for this year so we probably werent going to do much better than .500. Saw the opportunity to hire Allen as DC with every intention of him being the next HC. Glass always has a plan and covers his butt. Likes to let guys hang themselves. I dont think this was a quick decision.

27 minutes ago, Uwe Robb said:

That's kinda how I feel. Looking at the players' and former players' reactions on Twitter I've gotten the vibe that Wilson got screwed over by Glass. The troublemakers are the ones speaking out against Wilson while the guys who are/were model student athletes are in his corner. It seems like Glass wanted to make a move and is using this as an excuse because he knows he can't fire a guy who has brought IU to back-to-back bowl games for performance. It's like what people say about relationships.. If a person starts a relationship with you by cheating on their current SO, why would you think they won't do the same thing to you down the road? That'd be in the back of my head if I was Tom Allen. 

7 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

With my IU law degree and dime-store logic in hand, here's my take:

1. Kevin Wilson had a checkered start at IU. He was told in no uncertain terms that he needed to change.
  2. Everything had gotten better. Personally for Wilson, and on the football field.
  3. Things were going so well that in January, 2016, Wilson was signed to a 6 year, $12 million extension.
  4. In October (or so), one of the serious behavior issues re-appeared. Glass had an independent investigation done, which fully corroborated the allegation(s).
  5. Wilson, who could have been fired for cause and received nothing, or challenged the cause and received all $12 million, instead chose to resign and accept $542k.
  6. If Wilson thought he would have successfully challenged the potential "fire for cause" decision, he NEVER would have resigned for a $542k settlement.
  7. IU had a fantastic choice in the wings, and made it happen immediately so that on-field momentum and recruiting would not greatly suffer.

I just am not a fan of the guy.

Softball Coach, Tennis Coach, Water Polo Coach and now the Football Coach (also Curt Miller's resignation was cited as a family or medical matter but weren't there rumors of the way he treated players?) Also gave an extension to Felisha Jack the same year he fired her.

All of this happening on his watch.

I just am not a fan of the guy.

Softball Coach, Tennis Coach, Water Polo Coach and now the Football Coach (also Curt Miller's resignation was cited as a family or medical matter but weren't there rumors of the way he treated players?) Also gave an extension to Felisha Jack the same year he fired her.

All of this happening on his watch.

Curt Miller's deal had nothing to do with the athletes.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

5 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

With my IU law degree and dime-store logic in hand, here's my take:

1. Kevin Wilson had a checkered start at IU. He was told in no uncertain terms that he needed to change.
  2. Everything had gotten better. Personally for Wilson, and on the football field.
  3. Things were going so well that in January, 2016, Wilson was signed to a 6 year, $12 million extension.
  4. In October (or so), one of the serious behavior issues re-appeared. Glass had an independent investigation done, which fully corroborated the allegation(s).
  5. Wilson, who could have been fired for cause and received nothing, or challenged the cause and received all $12 million, instead chose to resign and accept $542k.
  6. If Wilson thought he would have successfully challenged the potential "fire for cause" decision, he NEVER would have resigned for a $542k settlement.
  7. IU had a fantastic choice in the wings, and made it happen immediately so that on-field momentum and recruiting would not greatly suffer.

I have to start this by saying I don't have a law degree but,

5. Even if he was fired without cause he only would have recieved his base salary of 542k for the duration of his contract, not the the full 12 mil, right?

6. If he gets a new coaching gig we only have to pay him to make up the difference if he makes under 542k, 100 head coaches and 60 assistants made over that last year and with his offensive background and success at OU as OC and success with IU's offenses, it seems he could land a pretty good OC job at least.

So, couldn't he have accepted the guranteed payment we offered for this year and be betting on himself to land a new gig this year and have an extra 542k from us that he wouldn't have gotten even if we fired him without cause?

I have to start this by saying I don't have a law degree but,

5. Even if he was fired without cause he only would have recieved his base salary of 542k for the duration of his contract, not the the full 12 mil, right?

6. If he gets a new coaching gig we only have to pay him to make up the difference if he makes under 542k, 100 head coaches and 60 assistants made over that last year and with his offensive background and success at OU as OC and success with IU's offenses, it seems he could land a pretty good OC job at least.

So, couldn't he have accepted the guranteed payment we offered for this year and be betting on himself to land a new gig this year and have an extra 542k from us that he wouldn't have gotten even if we fired him without cause?

Yes!

But by contesting the firing he could have had, at a minimum, the base salary for the entire six years while he looked for something else. I'm not sure what the incentives were that brought it up to 12 million, but some of those might have also been included in a firing without cause.

In any event the point you made is excellent, but as in any negotiated settlement, when one side gives up the vast majority of the deal they usually are not holding much, if any, leverage.

12 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Yes!

But by contesting the firing he could have had, at a minimum, the base salary for the entire six years while he looked for something else. I'm not sure what the incentives were that brought it up to 12 million, but some of those might have also been included in a firing without cause.

In any event the point you made is excellent, but as in any negotiated settlement, when one side gives up the vast majority of the deal they usually are not holding much, if any, leverage.

He has an aggressive mitigation clause, he was never going to get the base salary. I remember reading through the contract when we extended it and remarking what a good contract it was if we ever needed to fire him for cause and explaining far more than my wife wanted to know about past coach contracts that screwed Indiana and how the contracts have shifted since. Unless something blew up, there is no way he wouldn't have a new job in the new few weeks in any case, the contract just doesn't let him coast at all.

This settlement was for a clean break for both of them. Neither one wants anything negative to get out or for things to be dragged out, so Wilson gets a small pay-out and the University gets to move on without negatively affecting the team.

Whatever the reasons are, if it reached a point where the employment relationship wasn't working this is probably the best-case-scenario for both of them.

This whole situation is so bizarre to me. I never would have thought of CKW as a coach who risks player health. Honestly, I've sometimes thought it seemed like he had been reluctant to play injured players, for instance in NYC last year I talked to 2 women in Jordon Howard jerseys, I believe one said she was his mom, as we watched the bus pull up to yankee stadium and I asked her about his status and she told me he was 110% playing that game. I think it will be very interesting to see what happens with Wilson's career from here. I think it obvious he has a brilliant offensive mind, most of his players absolutely love him, and he's shown the ability to recruit pretty well without much to work with. I'm VERY excited to see what Tom Allen can do and have cautious, yet high hopes for him. However, I will always be very very greatful for the momentum Kevin Wilson has created for our program.