Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Dalton26

IU OVER unc POST GAME THREAD

Hats off to the North Carolina natives---Newkirk and RoJo. Both of them showed up big time. Solid. Glad RoJo picked IU over UNC (his final 2 if you recall)---He made the right choice---probably a bench player for them versus a starter for us.  RoJo got us off to a good start and Newkirk kept things steady.

ROJO is a Virginia native I believe.

Who was the idiot that called rojo a glorified Stan Robinson...oh wait that was me. Tonight he played a terrific game on both ends of the floor. De'ron Davis was also a bright spot, clutch minutes. If we are going to reach our potential, we have to get TB more touches in the paint. I've been on the Newkirk bandwagon from the jump and he is proving me right. I'm hoping cujo and Green can log some quality minutes to build their confidence. JBJ has a much better approach this year, hustling for loose balls and trying to play defense. When we need a big shot he wants the ball. KU and UNC dubs in our back pocket, let's keep it rolling. Go Hoosiers!

Yeah Newkirk has stuff to improve on but he's already a far greater asset than I think any dared to hope for. He has provided solid offensive production, mainly from behind the arc shockingly, and is a MENACE defensively. Berry was completely knocked out of his element by Newkirk. Having the go to guy on defense, a la Oladipo on the 2012-2013 squad, is something we've lacked recently.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

7 hours ago, Uspshoosier said:

Newkirk has been terrific in spurts and also has been down right terrible in some of his basketball decisions as well. Definitely a lot of potential to improve

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

This. His ballhandling isnt great for a pg, free throw shooting needs to get a lot better and his jumper is ugly. If he continues to rattle and bang in those threes we will need new rims by the end of the year. Has played well defensively for the most part.

5 hours ago, Brass Cannon said:

Btw guys we are now 35th in defense in Kenpom.  

Much more complete team than last year. 

Good news. We won the game on the defensive end tonite and I think that becomes the theme if we are successful this year. No Yogi or Troy as a finisher this year.

Fantastic result. Wish Assembly could be like that for every game.

Newkirk does a really good job at getting into the lane. Just needs to be sure to keep his head once he get's in there.

TB got abused a few times in the post on defense. He needs to be stronger and work for better position before the opposing player gets the ball. Can't let them catch it on the block. TB also seems to still struggle with his back to the basket post-ups. I'd be trying to get him the ball in the high post so he can turn and face.

DeRon is going to play a major role once he plays himself into game-shape. He's an excellent defender and has shown some solid post moves.

Hope OG's sprain isn't actually a high ankle sprain. Those can take 2+ months to com back from and an actual break would most likely be better. Hopefully it's a low ankle sprain and just 3-4 weeks. He was awesome last night.