Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Hovadipo

IPFW Post Game Thread

21 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Crean hopes it was Blackmon. It can be against finesse defenders but definitely not against pit bulls.

Green or CuJo eventually. Need much better ball movement to find an open shooter.

We don't have great slashers on this team either. Our guards (except CuJo) are average speed. Newkirk is fairly fast but often out of control. Newkirk jumper is not likely to be consistent. He jumps 2 feet forward on his three point shot.

We are offensively challenged in the half court with this team in particular. Gotta move the ball quickly and get open looks for Roj, JB, CuJo. Need Bryant in post much more. Need Bryant to recognize the double much quicker. I like DDavis but he is green.

I think Crean keeps going to Blackmon in must shoot situations but he can't find space on his own.

It's a legitimate worry.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

1) I said we'd miss Troy when it was up in the air if he went pro. You can't lose that and Yogi, I can pull it up if need be.

2) Newkirk is very fast but plays slow. When he goes he goes, slightly slower than Yogi, but I never know what I'm getting w him. And agreed on the shot.

3) My entire point. Crean has to get creative here. He wasn't but tried to force it w IPFW and JBJ. He can try again, I'm just saying I have 2 years of HS video and 2 more years of CBB sent to me that says this isn't who JBJ can be. He is essential to this team, but not in that way.

Who can it be? I'm asking.

3 minutes ago, hoosierpap said:

1) I said we'd miss Troy when it was up in the air if he went pro. You can't lose that and Yogi, I can pull it up if need be.

2) Newkirk is very fast but plays slow. When he goes he goes, slightly slower than Yogi, but I never know what I'm getting w him. And agreed on the shot, Wayne. In the half court...no.

3) My entire point. Crean has to get creative here. He wasn't but tried to force it w IPFW and JBJ. He can try again, I'm just saying I have 2 years of HS video and 2 more years of CBB sent to me that says this isn't who JBJ can be. He is essential to this team, but not in that way.

This is where implementing and executing in the half court is vital. I watched Butler the other night and appreciated how they just kept coming back. They're a program that stands in front of your haymaker and throws one right back.

We need to get movement and have OG and JMo slashing. They're not Oladipo or Troy level slashers but they have to fill that role and finish at the rim. We're not a team that can give it to one player and have them get a bucket. Like fleek said, JBJ can against weak defenders. CuJo and Green have shown a willingness to go make a play. Newkirk tries but can't finish.

2) Newkirk is very fast but plays slow. When he goes he goes, slightly slower than Yogi, but I never know what I'm getting w him. And agreed on the shot.

The immediate answer as to who can it be is "no one". However, , the Zeller, Hulls and Watford teams really didn't have a play making go to guy either. I guess for me the answer is ball movement ball movement ball movement.

Pap,

I don't have an immediate answer. That's why we need some sets and very good ball movement to find open shooters.

The fact that tiny Frank Mason can be that guy and yet we don't have a player we can depend on in those situations really stinks. I feel it isn't Newkirk, JB, or Rojo.

Green has the makeup to be that guy more than others.

Idk, pap.

Coach needs to be creative and create an offense to get us looks, I suppose.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

More green/cujo!! A lot less Newkirk and RoJo. Also need about ZERO of JMorg (already mentioned multiple times) at PG! Just let it go CTC!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

If we have less of Rojo it's only getting uglier. Newkirks decision making is quite awful, like Troy Williams freshman year bad.

If we have less of Rojo it's only getting uglier. Newkirks decision making is quite awful, like Troy Williams freshman year bad.

Short-term, yes it will be uglier. But long-term I think it's the answer I may be wrong but go back to the beginning of the IPFW game. Really early on in the game he throws the ball away for an easy layup. Instead of hustling to get back into the play which he could have easily done, he jogs! Notice too many times from him. And I'm done with it. I was the biggest RoJo fan at one point. Not anymore

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

21 hours ago, hoosierpap said:

Haven't gotten around to this and hope no one cares at this point, but....

My two biggest fears coming into this game were revealed here. I already voiced the PG issue. I'm not sold. 

The second has less to do with Yogi the PG than it does Yogi the player. This team doesn't have a guy who can get their own shot when they need to. When teams slow down Indiana and they get into their half court set, it results in a lot of short shot clock offense. By that I mean under 10 sec. Now, I don't have a percentage on this- and you aren't going to get an accurate perspective tomorrow- but I'll see what I can come up with in more meaningful games. Also, someone will say "what about a play that develops late" and they're right, fail or success that needs to be taken into the equation. I'll cut those out, too. Still, there are tons of situations where exactly what I'm talking about occur and they are important especially in late-game situations...So that is the PROBLEM

Anyways, Yogi was that guy. The offense stalls in the half court (as they do in Crean's half-court system) and having a guy who can beat his man and create for himself becomes imperative. Yogi was that guy. Who is it now? What is the SOLUTION?

I know this...it isn't Rojo, JBJ, or OG. It just isn't who they are.

Maybe Newkirk if he takes a some steps, and quickly. Honestly, I don't see it.

Juwan...so versatile, but that just isn't him.

Cujo and Green...freshman and just not there yet. Green, in my mind, will be that guy but he isn't now and doesn't have that role...so no.

Who am I missing? Who can be that guy? 

Asked the same question earlier in the thread. Cujo and Green are the only guys I see capable of filling that role.