Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Hovadipo

IPFW Post Game Thread

IU administration tells athletic departments that no more scheduling these types of games for any sport. Will honor existing schedules but no more... Not worth the PR nightmare

This would be the worst outcome. We're not Kensucky we shouldn't take our ball and go home. We should schedule a five year rotation something like..

Year 1 - IPFW in Fort Wayne
Year 2 - UE in Evansville
Year 3 - Notre Dane in South Bend
Year 4 - ISU in Terre Haute
Year 5 - Butler in Hinkle

This team and every other team should grow from this kind of experience. This teaches us we have to get up for every game. This would also help recruiting and building of the smaller schools in the state. If we really want to be that program in the state let's build it back up.

I agree completely. You cant call out Kentucky as cowards for not wanting to come back to the Hall and then turn around and want to cancel games like the one we lost.

Well, we are, across all sports is what I was told this morning

That game took the "Thanks" outta Thanksgiving for me. Dang it!
The Hoosiers were good at the "giving" part to IPFW..... TOO GOOD!!
Terrible after taste.... Taste like chutney & burnt hair!

I thought I would be more upset about this loss but I'm not too bummed. I kind of expect at least one of these in the OOC schedule and one in conference. It's how the team responds that will tell us what they're truly made of.

14 minutes ago, MikeRoberts said:

Well, we are, across all sports is what I was told this morning

Yeah, this isn't true. We might not play IPFW in Fort Wayne again in the near future, but your original claim is false.

IU administration tells athletic departments that no more scheduling these types of games for any sport. Will honor existing schedules but no more... Not worth the PR nightmare

Yeah, cuz alienating the rest of the state won't be a PR nightmare either.

Yeah, this isn't true. We might not play IPFW in Fort Wayne again in the near future, but your original claim is false.

That was essentially my claim so not sure what you mean. No more scheduling road games against these types of opponents is what I was told from a meeting this morning

I was gonna say something earlier but knew Id get hammered so I didnt. This team acted like they were going to the FF after the Kansas win. The first game of the season. Got a little too high on themselves and thought they could just go through the motions. Learn from it and move on.

I'm not celebrating, nor am I happy. However, I think this was probably one of the best things that could have happened to this team. It was just too easy riding one excellent effort and two wins over creampuffs to a top-three ranking. Last year it was the hard times (beginning in Maui) that brought our team together. Games like this one are reminders that you don't throw your uniform on the floor and expect the other team to fall over. Humility builds character. Crean now has "jump on 'em" fodder. Blackmon's turnovers, the drives to nowhere (I thought when Troy went pro we might be rid of those), the horrible passes, the standing around on defense. Granted if we'd made the 3-point shots that normally go down we'd have won by 12, (or if we'd made a few free throws we'd have won by 4) and none of these things would have mattered. BUT we needed a shock-value game to remind us that those shots do NOT always go down.

We are no worse than we were going into the game, and that's pretty darn good. Now let's become better because of it. Better to have this game against Ft. Wayne and not Rutgers or Illinois.

Games like this - where we are completely unprepared, show no effort or passion, and don't execute anything at all are the reason Tom Crean will never fully win over the Indiana fan base.   I saw no pride, I saw no real fight, and I saw a team that allowed the opponent to do whatever they wanted AND out hustle Indiana.   Who couldn't smell the rat in the room??  Especially after the first 2 minutes?  Not that hard.

We got exactly what we deserved.  I hate saying it, but our kids looked to me like they didn't care.  That's not acceptable to me because the name on the front of that jersey means something to me; and it really doesn't seem to sometimes to our players.  It has to mean something to our coach first, and maybe it does; but Indiana does not go on the road in an in-state game and put forth an effort like that.   Defense is all about attitude and "want to."  We did not want to.  Plain and simple.  And unacceptable.

As someone noted before, there's so much film that will help the team. JMo missed at least 3 bunnies. TB needs to go hard and then get back. He had a bit of Troy in him last night. JBJ had a huge putback jam and then strutted instead of getting back on defense. RoJo needs to cut his toenails so those two corner jumpers would have been threes and not twos. Newkirk needs to finish at the rim.

Collectively, we need to draw fouls better. I harped on it earlier but we need to live at the foul line. We need to also take care of the ball. (Always a theme) On defense, we need to take something away from them. Last night IPFW was way too comfortable. (Part of the reason being we thought the name on the front was going to win without putting in the effort)

Going forward, if TB is doing work in the post we need Davis in there. We are a completely different team when we're playing through the paint. We get better shots on the perimeter when the ball is kicked out, we draw more fouls, and shoot a higher percentage.

That game last night was odd on several levels. I told family after the first few minutes IU would lose if it didn't get things together quickly. We went through the motions. Good for IPFW for taking advantage in this game.

We get a few more opportunities in the noncon to show we've learned from this. UNC will be a challenge next week but we should have a friendly whistle at Assembly Hall. Butler will be not acted to get their signature noncon win in Indy during the Crossroads Classic. That game will tell us a lot about what we've learned.

Get better soon OG!

I'd also add in some off ball screens to open up the lanes to throw the defense off! Right now all you have to do is stay w/ your man and help on defense. There isn't enough confusion!
There is way to much offensive talent and not many teams in the country should be able slow us down, especially IPFW!!!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'd also like to see much more of Green running the point (not starting, but more minutes) and less of Morgan at the point!!

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

16 hours ago, brtjohns said:

I can hear it now from our rivals and the rest of the college basketball world: So that’s why the hoosiers don’t schedule nonconference true road games.  Can’t really respond.

They wanted it more, simple as that.  It was evident in nearly every play in regulation tonight.  What a win for the mastodons.  Biggest win in their program’s history?  Despite bleeding crimson, thought it was an awesome scene after the game.

Gotta love college basketball.  Beat Kansas in Hawaii, then lose to IPFW up the road 11 days later.  No worries at this point in the season.  We always win some as the underdog and lose some as the favorite.  Essentially every team does.

Hopefully this was OG’s worst game as a hoosier by a longshot.  No defending it – that was an utterly pathetic performance.  I lost count of how many plays he quit on.  I’ve never seen him and hope to never see him again play so lethargically.  Makes you wonder if he’s battling an illness.

Green is a really promising player.  McRoberts was a helluva spark plug tonight.  He put on a clinic on defense.  Him playing the last 10 or so minutes plus much of overtime is yet another reminder that it’s not about who starts but who finishes.  The latter is more important.

Kudos to coach for a great coaching move in going to the 2-3 zone to throw a wrench into their plans and halt momentum.  Also kudos for keeping OG on the bench for the rest of the game after two completely uninspired stretches of play.

Blackmon needs to learn how to be a playmaker, not just a scorer.  As has been the theme for much of his career, he missed an easy assist on a majority of his drives.  Needs to keep his head up and be determined to make a play, not be so focused on getting around his man to get a bucket.  Tunnel vision.

Their big man #45 had his way with Bryant tonight.  Hopefully it serves as lesson to Bryant that he needs to combine his energy with creativity in the post.  Can’t rely on your length and just expect fouls to be called.

edit:  really, really big fan of their coach after hearing that interview.

a few more thoughts after scanning this thread:
-hoosieraloha, kb0, stuhoo and magnanimous affirmed why they're some of my favorite posters, and i agree completely in scheduling one or two of these games every year.  they are infinitely more beneficial in the short and long term than the grand valley states, alcorn states and libertys at home.  starting last season, i dont even care to tune in to all of the cupcake home games.  really, whats the point?  even if we won last night by 15, i still wouldnt call this kind of game a cupcake.

-if there's anything to like about these post loss threads, it's that they continually feed my ignore list which shapes a better btb reading experience.

-if the tremont waters miss didnt already sting like a ferocious b, it should now.  pinson and harris hurt a lot too, but in my book thats crean's biggest recruiting miss since he's been here.  newkirk and probably green is our look at point guard for the next two years.  i really like green, but it's hard to tell right now how steady of a point he'll be.  newkirk has been inconsistent at best -- flashes of productivity clouded by too many wtf moments.  still early in the season though; he'll improve.  but waters was the elite all-around, multi-year, immediate high-impact point we could've really used.

we'll be alright.  beat unc and last night will feel like a mere speedbump.

2 hours ago, Whoozhers said:

That game took the "Thanks" outta Thanksgiving for me. Dang it!
The Hoosiers were good at the "giving" part to IPFW..... TOO GOOD!!
Terrible after taste.... Taste like chutney & burnt hair!

This made my day. Too funny!