Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Hovadipo

IPFW Post Game Thread

16 minutes ago, Alford Bailey said:

I wondering if I watched a different game than some of you. OG was sick.Scott was in JBJs head all night. TB was getting pushed around. We missed numerous layups and free throws. Guys were getting the ball stole from them 30 ft from the basket. IPFW beat us to the spot ALL NIGHT! How is this on Crean?

No Sets ran whatsoever. The same dribble drive motion offense ran for 40 minutes. One would think if your offense isn't working, then perhaps it's time to try something different.

Questionable line ups. Thomas playing on the wing in a 2-3 Zone? Rojo and Josh can't play together, imo. 

Defense: That's an effort thing mostly, but Crean should've thrown something at them. Whether it's a full court press or a zone (he ran only in the second with 10 minutes left?) 

Last Play: That last attempt to send it into second overtime was classic crean. I told my buddies, this is going to be a turnover. Morgan throws it, it get stolen, game over. I have yet to see Crean draw up one good OTB play.  

IPFW came to play, no doubt about it. But i'd say this mostly falls on the shoulders of Crean and he even said so himself (shockingly) 

20 minutes ago, pappy1865 said:

So, if you don't perform at your job, that which you've been trained and educated on, you're not liable for any mistakes or anything, and your boss should be held accountable or fired instead of you?  Come on.  Yes, some if this is on Crean with the lack of in-game adjustments last night, but he's not physically out there.  

No but at work if one of my employees is a screw up.  My boss asks me what I am going to do.   If all of them are screw ups, my boss wonders what he has to do. 

16 minutes ago, Alford Bailey said:

True. And if a trend develops this season Im with you. Id rather have a hiccup now. Im just not worried yet. Very young team and very talented.

Young?

We have a Red Shirt Junior, 2 Juniors and 3 sophmores as our first six guys off the bench.  In the realm of college basketball we might not be old, but we aren't that young either. 

This game will do way more for this team than any 30 point cupcake win at home. Plenty of teaching moments on that film.

I agree. OG being sick hurts but others did not have the focus needed to win against a Indiana based team playing us.

I would prefer to play more games like this than to beat the cupcakes yet not get the test like this.

Michigan State seems to struggle some in their preseason and yet by the end of the year they come on strong. They play powers and also in state teams and that is a good model.

5 minutes ago, Alford Bailey said:

This game will do way more for this team than any 30 point cupcake win at home. Plenty of teaching moments on that film.

This!  I love the fact that we played an in-state team on the road in November.  I love the fact that our opponent was incredibly pumped up to play us, and gave it everything they had. I'd risk a loss like this every year rather than settling for a whole bunch of meaningless practice-like games that do very little to prepare us for conference play, and beyond.  Yes, we should have won.  But this was one hell of a wake-up call and will provide a lot of motivation.

5 minutes ago, Hovadipo said:

That's typically how it works.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

I think JBJs definition of open is just a wee bit different that what some people would like.  I wasn't that upset with Blackmon yesterday.  He is what he is, its our job to hide him on defense the way we hid troy last year. 

I think JBJs definition of open is just a wee bit different that what some people would like.  I wasn't that upset with Blackmon yesterday.  He is what he is, its our job to hide him on defense the way we hid troy last year. 

Yeah I mean he's our best scorer and it's not close along with being one of the most pure shooters in the country so his definition of open is different for sure. As it should be. There were problems last night, but the offense probably ran best when JB was the one running it. (That may not be saying much...I haven't seen the offense that bogged down since the Vonleh year)

2 minutes ago, Hovadipo said:

Yeah I mean he's our best scorer and it's not close along with being one of the most pure shooters in the country so his definition of open is different for sure. As it should be. There were problems last night, but the offense probably ran best when JB was the one running it. (That may not be saying much...I haven't seen the offense that bogged down since the Vonleh year)

Yeah agreed. I really would like to see an assistant brought it that is good with half court offense and has some recruiting. 

I know that's a tall order but I feel it would do so much to help this team 

7 minutes ago, triple said:

This!  I love the fact that we played an in-state team on the road in November.  I love the fact that our opponent was incredibly pumped up to play us, and gave it everything they had. I'd risk a loss like this every year rather than settling for a whole bunch of meaningless practice-like games that do very little to prepare us for conference play, and beyond.  Yes, we should have won.  But this was one hell of a wake-up call and will provide a lot of motivation.

Oh yea, ITS FREAKING NOVEMBER!!

JBJ has actually been pretty good at feeding the post so far this season. He missed a few opportunities to feed Bryant yesterday but he's done a solid job.

IU administration tells athletic departments that no more scheduling these types of games for any sport. Will honor existing schedules but no more... Not worth the PR nightmare

I hope you are wrong but fear you may be right.

As someone noted before, there's so much film that will help the team. JMo missed at least 3 bunnies. TB needs to go hard and then get back. He had a bit of Troy in him last night. JBJ had a huge putback jam and then strutted instead of getting back on defense. RoJo needs to cut his toenails so those two corner jumpers would have been threes and not twos. Newkirk needs to finish at the rim.

Collectively, we need to draw fouls better. I harped on it earlier but we need to live at the foul line. We need to also take care of the ball. (Always a theme) On defense, we need to take something away from them. Last night IPFW was way too comfortable. (Part of the reason being we thought the name on the front was going to win without putting in the effort)

Going forward, if TB is doing work in the post we need Davis in there. We are a completely different team when we're playing through the paint. We get better shots on the perimeter when the ball is kicked out, we draw more fouls, and shoot a higher percentage.

That game last night was odd on several levels. I told family after the first few minutes IU would lose if it didn't get things together quickly. We went through the motions. Good for IPFW for taking advantage in this game.

We get a few more opportunities in the noncon to show we've learned from this. UNC will be a challenge next week but we should have a friendly whistle at Assembly Hall. Butler will be not acted to get their signature noncon win in Indy during the Crossroads Classic. That game will tell us a lot about what we've learned.

Get better soon OG!

2 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

As someone noted before, there's so much film that will help the team. JMo missed at least 3 bunnies. TB needs to go hard and then get back. He had a bit of Troy in him last night. JBJ had a huge putback jam and then strutted instead of getting back on defense. RoJo needs to cut his toenails so those two corner jumpers would have been threes and not twos. Newkirk needs to finish at the rim.

Collectively, we need to draw fouls better. I harped on it earlier but we need to live at the foul line. We need to also take care of the ball. (Always a theme) On defense, we need to take something away from them. Last night IPFW was way too comfortable. (Part of the reason being we thought the name on the front was going to win without putting in the effort)

Going forward, if TB is doing work in the post we need Davis in there. We are a completely different team when we're playing through the paint. We get better shots on the perimeter when the ball is kicked out, we draw more fouls, and shoot a higher percentage.

That game last night was odd on several levels. I told family after the first few minutes IU would lose if it didn't get things together quickly. We went through the motions. Good for IPFW for taking advantage in this game.

We get a few more opportunities in the noncon to show we've learned from this. UNC will be a challenge next week but we should have a friendly whistle at Assembly Hall. Butler will be not acted to get their signature noncon win in Indy during the Crossroads Classic. That game will tell us a lot about what we've learned.

Get better soon OG!

It seemed as if there was a little "bad" Troy in almost everyone last night. I guess there head were still in Hawaii, cause the last couple of games have been going through the motions. Hopefully this is a wake up call like the Duke game last year. I would really like to take pUKe out in March again, its so peaceful at work when that happens, lol.

59 minutes ago, MikeRoberts said:

IU administration tells athletic departments that no more scheduling these types of games for any sport. Will honor existing schedules but no more... Not worth the PR nightmare

Let's see...

1) Agreed to play Ball State in football at Lucas Oil Stadium…lost. (we're playing them at LOS again in 2019, by the way)

2) Lost to Butler in Crossroads when we were #1, with some no-name walk-on easily getting around our Mr. Basketball winner for the game-winner. 

3) Last night, where their bigs had a block party, we missed layups and they were throwing down ESPN worthy dunks. 

No need to worry about scheduling more games like this; I think we've already exhausted all the possibilities.