Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stuhoo

(2017) SF/PF Shamiel Stevenson to Pitt

SHAMIEL STEVENSON CATCHES SOME EYES

The Hillcrest Prep basketball program has gained notoriety in the past few years surrounding DeAndre Ayton. While the five-star senior brings enough to the floor that would make it worthwhile for an entire gym to be filled to capacity, that isn’t to say that the supporting cast that the school boasts shouldn’t be receiving their own dues. One name that is beginning to see things heat up with his recruitment is Shamiel Stevenson, a 6-foot-6 forward by way of Canada.

Running with the U-Play Canada 17-under travel squad this past summer, a number of schools reached out and offered Stevenson including the likes of VCU, Georgia Tech, USC and Arizona State. However, for one reason or another, the senior saw things drop off some before recently getting the attention that he rightfully deserves.

Someone that can play either forward spot as he would be a major matchup issue as a small ball 4-man, Stevenson is the type of guy that can be plugged into a variety of lineups. While he does need to become a better perimeter shooter, the strong bodied forward has deceptive explosion at the basket, hops that he showed off on Tuesday by way of an off-handed putback dunk. A much underrated playmaker that can even facilitate a half-court offense off of the high ball screen, Stevenson brings two-way versatility and production to the hardwood.

On Tuesday at the City of Palms Classic, Stevenson put together a solid stat line of 13 points, six rebounds, and three assists with Indiana head coach Tom Crean watching. Interest is beginning to come in from others such as Pitt and Illinois, though it is IU that has caught the Canadian’s eye. “They’re a really good program. We are going to set up a visit soon, I hope. They’re looking to offer me real soon,” Stevenson said. “They’re a first class program with a great coach that develops players; that’s what I really want.”

Expect for the attention for Stevenson to steadily increase but in the meantime, it looks as if the watchful eye of Tom Crean could supplant the Hoosiers into the pole position for the versatile and active forward out of Hillcrest Prep.

Pretty simple options A and B decided to play else where which left the staff to look at options C and D in the late signing period

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

We go after mid major types with the last scholarship rather than carry it over to the next year. Sometimes I just don't understand the reasoning. Wish Crean would treat his scholarships like his timeouts sometimes.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

33 minutes ago, bhaggard89 said:

We go after mid major types with the last scholarship rather than carry it over to the next year. Sometimes I just don't understand the reasoning. Wish Crean would treat his scholarships like his timeouts sometimes.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Crean is never gonna save a scholly. And it doesnt really matter. We probably end up some mid major types either way.